We've been swept along the last couple of months with school, homework, soccer (more on that in another post) and the like, but we got stopped in our tracks Saturday night. Sophie had spiked a fever (103.7) on Thursday, was increasingly listless on Friday (I had to call Jon to bring home dinner because Sophie would NOT let me put her down to cook), and started throwing up on Saturday morning. We took her to the pediatrician, who felt she had a virus and sent us home to watch for signs of dehydration. She continued to throw up EVERYTHING she took in, which was really only Pedialyte. She was even sticking her hand down her throat; the doctor had never seen such a thing, and Jon theorized that she was uncomfortable enough with anything in her to want to get it back out. She wanted desperately to drink, though, so she'd drink and then make herself throw it up.
About dinner time I called the doctor back and told him it was getting worse instead of better; he said we could take her in for IV fluids, to an acute care center close by or to Children's Hospital, farther away. I opted to go to Children's, thinking that you might as well have every service at your fingertips, just in case-- that turned out to be an excellent decision. Fortunately, Jon's mom got home just as we were doing "rock, paper, scissors" to decide which of us should take her in, and we were both able to go while Susan stayed with Madeline & Baxter. We got to the ER around 6:00, and just as a doctor was taking our history, she (and everyone else in the ER) was called away to deal with an emergency. We waited a couple of hours before she was free again, and she got an IV in Sophie right away. That two-hour wait turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as Sophie's IV was almost done dripping when we changed her diaper to find it full of blood.
That changed the demeanor of everyone, and it became clear that throwing up bile (as she had done just before we left for the ER) and pooping blood is NOT a good combination. She had some x-rays of her belly, which indicated a likely intussuception, which is a telescoping of the intestine, a not-uncommon condition in kids her age. The diagnostic/treatment procedure for this is an "air enema," where they use air to force the intestine out of its telescoped state while they watch on the fluoroscope (sort of a video x-ray). The wonderful radiologist, Dr. Hay, told us that if he actually found the intussuception, he would keep trying until he was no longer making progress, and that even if he got most but not all of it, it would make the job of the surgeons much easier.
Yes, that's right, the surgeons. This condition is basically a surgical emergency, since nothing can pass through the intestines (hence the vomiting). Dr. Hay got most of the two-foot (!) length of the blockage pushed out on the first try, let Sophie rest, and went back to try to dislodge the last couple of inches. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to and feared making a hole in her intestine if he continued to try. By this time Saturday Night Live was on; we collected Sophie and went back to the ER to wait for the surgeons. She was increasingly agitated (even before the "air enema"), and Jon has bruises on his chest from holding a 24-pound human gyroscope. Finally, at 3:00 they took her into surgery. Jon and I finally slept, him on a couch and me on the floor of the surgery waiting room, until the surgeon came out at 4:00 to say it had been a big success. The remaining blockage had been very small, and though the intestine was bruised, there was no permanent damage.
I went to the recovery room while Jon fetched our things, and they let me hold Sophie. A few minutes later, though, after Jon returned, her oxygen saturation began to drop. They snatched her from my arms, put her on the bed, and used an "ambu bag" to force air into her lungs. She was ashy and gray, but pinked up quickly. After that, they watched her closely and she had a couple of more drops in saturation, especially when she got mad (you know how kids cry so hard they can't breathe well?).
Eventually she stabilized, and they sent us (me and Sophie; Jon had gone home to be there when Madeline and Baxter woke up) to a room. There was only a rocking chair, and I slept with my head lolled back for an hour and a half or so.
Long story short (ha! there's nothing short about this story), they moved us to a lovely, spacious private room (with daybed for me to sleep on), and Sophie's medical markers have steadily improved. Her oxygen is good, her bowels are starting to work again, and she has eaten a tiny bit. She is still VERY cranky, though; she does not want to be held OR to be put down, doesn't want to eat or drink or watch TV or be read to or play with toys... The hardest part for me is not being able to do anything to console her.
They may release her this afternoon (Monday), but it's not certain yet, since she's not really eating. I'll send more info when we have it! And forgive any typos, as I don't have time to spell-check; I must get back up and relieve the lovely volunteer who came to sit with Sophie so I could have a break and come use the hospital's wonderful patient library to access the web.
MK